Tuesday, December 14, 2010

La Mort est Proche (Death is Near)

November 8, 1793
It was a cold, dark, and dreary morning on June 1,1793, the signs that something bad is near. A band of armed men entered my apartment and presented to me the order for my arrest. After the read it to me I knew that it was over. I was to be sentenced to death. I have been accused of being a traitor to France. After hoping that all the accusations about me would disappear, they have caught up with me. It's over. I will never see the day that France is free from its own chains. I will never see peace in my dear country. I will never see the loving face of my dear husband. I will never see my lovely daughter, Eudora, grow up into a beautiful young lady. It's done. After all the effort that I put into my nation to change it for the better it repays me by sending me to the guillotine. Upon leaving my apartment, I planted one last kiss on the face of my daughter. They sent me to jail, however, I am still allowed to write, and for this I am grateful. I have completed my memoirs here in this dreary cell, Appel à l'impartiale postérité. Today is the day that I am sentenced to die, but I will not cower in fear. I will hold my head up high, for I am dying for France. I can look back upon my life and say that I did everything in my power to improve my country.
Adieu
MR

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that very moment before death. I, myself, have suffered in a cold, dreary room before I was guillotined. The isolation, the darkness, and the hopelessness seemed to be the only things that surrounded me. I believe you too, Madame Roland, have felt the very same gloom surround you as you waited for the day of your death when you can no longer act to help France or yourself. However, France may be able to become strong without our efforts and so we must remain hopeful and strong to the last second of our lives.

    -Georges Danton

    ReplyDelete