Monday, December 13, 2010

Nouvelle vie à Paris (New Life in Paris)

1791
As my family’s time continues to pass in Paris, the heartbeat of the Revolution continues to beat stronger and louder here. Upon our move here to Paris, I opened a salon at the Hotel Britannique and since then I have watched with the upmost joy as it has become stronger and stronger. My salon began, at first, as a meeting place for my husband and his colleagues to discuss the progress of the Revolution but now it has become the hotspot for noted politicians to come and express their ideas and views. I may sound a bit smug, but do not think that many women can brag and say that the likes of Robespierre, the voice of the Revolution, and Brissot have EVER entered their salon. Although I have much to say during these meetings, I choose rather to watch and listen, so to not make a spectacle of myself. I have learned through time that a man will show more respect towards a woman if she does not try to ‘exalt her rights’. I choose rather to speak after the meetings. Through my salon the Girondist party has emerged, with my husband and Brissot as the leaders. The men have begun to trust me and at times even ask me for advice. The Girondist party has decided to meet in my salon four times a week. My salon! This will ensure my husband and I's dominant position in the political scene! As my husband continues to realize that the men have grown to respect me he has even allowed me to write many of his letters and correspondences to his fellow revolutionaries. Through these I express my ideas, not my husband’s. Through these letters, I hope that my expressed desires of a monarchy that works for the people will be recognized and implemented in the French government. I know this may appear sneaky but this is the ONLY way that my views can be expressed fully. My salon continues to grow in its prominence and I am confident that it will continue to remain on top!
Adieu
MR

1 comment:

  1. Brava, my dear Madame Roland! Oh the salons! I remember them so well. How amazed was I, when a modest bourgeoisie at the time, found that truly woman could have power and influence on France. It was the character of these women such as yourself that gave me the strength and determination to continue forward in becoming almost a Queen. You have my complete admiration as in a salon a woman is the hostess of the time. I honor your power and advancement over and in society. You see, I too obtained power during times that did not view a woman’s progression in a favorable light. So my dear, do not be timid of your grand ideas in the area of politics. Express yourself with confidence as you are the power in this environment. You have brilliantly gathered the most radical minds of the time! Do not cease to wield your control in this arena. Continue boldly with your ideas and participate fully, you are their Mistress. As the Mistress of King Louis XV, we are the power behind France! Warm wishes to the both of us as we continue to change the world!
    -Madame de Pompadour, the maîtresse-en-titre of King Louis XV of France.

    ReplyDelete