Sunday, December 12, 2010

Tout Autour de Moi (All About Me)

Bonjour, HelloBienvenue, Welcome.
             My name is Marie-Jeanne Roland de la Platière, however I am simply known as Madame Roland. I was born Marie-Jeanne Philipon on March 17, 1754 in Paris, France to my parents, Pierre Gacien and Marguerite Binot Philipon. I was an only child, for out of the seven children that my parents had, none were able to survive past the hour of birth besides me. For this reason, I was the object of my parent’s affection and they showered me with the uttermost love and care. I was everything to them, as they were everything to me.
             From an early age, I expressed a keen interest in knowledge and I was trained in an advanced, well-rounded education. Through my studies I became fluent in French, Italian, Latin, and English and also became an accomplished musician and dancer. My interest in government was sparked when I read Plutarch’s Parallel Lives, at the age of nine years. This piece of literature expressed the philosophical ideas of a state that worked for the benefit of the citizens, not the monarch and the idea that the success of a state was also dependent upon the people. Throughout the course of my studies, I came across the literature of many noted philosophes, such as Montesquieu, Voltaire, and Rousseau and they began to shape my ideas and principles. As time went, I realized that I did not want to join a convent, as my beloved parents desired, but rather wanted to reshape the government into a republic. These desires were solidified upon my visit to Versailles, where my interest in politics sparked and I realized that the ‘perfect’ government had "enlightened and well-meaning ministers, a young prince docile to their council who wants to do good, a lovable and well doing queen, an easy court, pleasant and decent, an honorable legislative body, a charming people who wants nothing but the power to love its master...".
            When I was 25, I married Jean-Marie Roland in the winter of 1780. Although my husband was 20 years my senior, he was my equal intellectually. Together, we had one daughter, who was named Eudora. He was easily swayed by my words and through him I was able to exercise an abundance of influence over the fate of France, but we will return to this topic soon enough. In 1790, my husband was elected to represent Lyons at the National Assembly. My husband and I were very influential in spreading the ideas of the Revolution for I ran a salon at the Hotel Britannique where meetings were held by influential men of the revolutionary party. Through these meetings, the Girondist faction of the Jacobin Club was developed, with my husband and I as on of the main leaders (although I mostly expressed influence through the voice of my husband). As a result, my husband and I became extremely popular. However our popularity did not last. After being arrested I was sent to jail in Abbaye and eventually sentenced to death. I died on November 8, 1793 at the age of 39.
            There is more to the story mon ami, my friend. I urge you read on, and learn how I was able to express a strong influence over France through letters and my husband, for par lui que je parle, by him I speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment