Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Lettre au Roi (Letter to the King)

 Excerpt:
June 21, 1792
“...Love, serve the Revolution, and the people will love it and serve it in you. Ratify the measures to extirpate their fanaticism. Paris trembles in view of its danger. Surround its walls with an army of defence. Delay longer, and you will be deemed a conspirator and an accomplice. Just Heaven! hast thou stricken kings with blindness? I know that truth is rarely welcomed coined at the foot of thrones. I know, too, that the withholding of truth from kings renders revolutions so often necessary. As a citizen, a minister, I owe truth to the King, and nothing shall prevent me from making it reach his ear...

Soon after this letter was delivered to the King, my husband was removed from office. However my letter was read to all members of the Assembly and it was received with an abundance of applause. The letter was eventually read by all of France and has even spread to Europe. As a result, it has put my husband and me at the top of the reform and our popularity continues to grow!

Adieu
MR

No comments:

Post a Comment